Monday, April 11, 2011

Job hunting

Applying for a job is a soul-destroying process. I have not been at it for particularly long, but it does not take long to learn this fact. With every fax that you send off, every week of silence that passes, every rejection e-mail or phonecall (if they even bother with one), you can feel yourself starting to get weaker, more tired, dying a little on the inside. As the days, weeks and sometimes months pass, self-doubt starts to set in, and things can only really get worse from there. Once you lose your self-confidence, there is really no hope. During this process, I couldn't help thinking to myself - this shouldn't be happening to me. I am educated. I spent four years getting a university education, and for what? And so, today I thought I would talk about a subject that is weighing on my mind: What is worth more - education or experience.

Personally, I think that experience has become more valuable than education. A person can spend four years studying or they can spend ten years studying, and that will not necessarily make them any more comfortable in a working environment. Studying is not the same as working. When you study, you are being safe. Your environment is controlled. You are not thrown to the masses and expected to fend for yourselves. Your life revolves around lenient deadlines and if you miss a deadline, your career path is not at stake - you will certainly be penalised, but you will not lose your job.

Once you are thrown into the real world, you start to realise what a pleasure university was. You still have deadlines to meet, but they are not necessarily set out from the get-go and they are certainly far shorter than they were in university days. I fondly remember the days of week-long deadlines for essays or articles, and then consider the articles that I wrote while working at Grocott's Mail (a relatively calm and controlled environment in itself compared to most newsrooms) where articles often had to be written, researched and published all in the same day. And Grocott's Mail only comes out twice a week. Imagine the deadlines that would be given working on a daily paper like the Times or the Cape Argus. That is when you really start to realise just how cushy you had it before. And now imagine missing one of those deadlines. Imagine not handing in the article that you were assigned delving into the dealings of the President. Imagine mispelling a name in an article of real importance that is read by hundreds if not thousands of people. A mistake like that would result in more than just a reduced mark. A mistake like that could lead to your having to start the job hunting process from the start once more.

In an example like this and in the journalism world in general, I can completely understand how experience pays more than education does. Journalists need to be able to work fast and efficiently, and while part of their education often revolves around teaching them to do that, a large part of it also involves the study of media history and such things that will never really play a part in the day-to-day field. So, you may have studied for ten years and may walk into a newspaper spouting the value of objective reporting and quoting any number of theorists backing your opinion, but that will not help you to go out into the world in the slightest.

The trouble comes in when it is difficult to gain that experience. Something that I noticed when looking at all the job advertisements out there is that everyone is looking for someone experienced. There is no place for a person just out of university to fit in. Requirements tend to include a minimum of a degree and two or three years experience in the field or eight years experience if you have no degree. Where on earth am I supposed to get this experience when there are no entry level jobs available? Sure, I worked in a cake shop on and off for five years of my life. Sure, I spent a year teaching English in Korea. But where does all of that fit into the grander scheme of things. More specifically, where does that kind of experience fit in when I don't want to be managing a store or teaching.

I find myself adjusting my CV to make my experiences fit with the jobs that I am applying to. This leads to the following kinds of descriptions finding their way in:

Academic Administration:

During my time as a Guest English Teacher and during my time at Just Delicious, I was required to deal with students and customers as well as other staff members in a friendly manner and assist them in any way that I could including answering any queries that they might have. As a Guest English Teacher I also became familiar with an office environment and with the use of office equipment such as photocopiers and scanners. At Just Delicious, a main aspect of the job was cleaning, tidying and generally keeping the shop ordered, the stock supplied and a general atmosphere maintained. Though the job did not involve cataloguing specifically, I was charged with keeping things in a very particular order to keep the owner happy and I succeeded in this effort without complaint.

I have to try and make the minimal tasks that I was charged with seem like the most important things in the world. Suddenly spending five minutes cleaning up the shop at the end of the day becomes synonymous with cataloguing student records. But what else can I do when there is no entry level job that would allow me to gain that specific experience in any case?

Anyway, enough of my ranting for now. What this blog post essentially boils down to is that when you are job hunting, your education suddenly becomes almost completely irrelevant, and my question for today is: Do you agree, and what job hunting experiences have you had?

PS. I was recently informed that it is just about impossible to comment on my posts. I have tried to fix this. If it is still the case, please let me know so that I can try harder. If you are trying to comment and it isn't working, feel free to send an e-mail to laislinns@gmail.com.

5 comments:

  1. I recommend you read "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn and I just read the sequel "My Ishmael" which was even better. They helped explain just what your feeling in a way that eases the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Experience is what counts at the end - but a sound education is necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had dinner with Richard last night and we both agreed that our degrees had been no help job hunting. It seems that experience does win out, but you also need the degree. And yes I find that it's a soul destroying process, but we have to pick ourselves up and keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure a lot of places wouldn't even look at you if you didn't have some form of tertiary education. After-all, completing that education demonstrates time management, planning, research skills etc etc so it counts for something. Job hunting is a pain in the ...it took me 6 months to find my first job out of uni so keep persevering! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I graduated with a bachelor of social sciences majoring in psychology and thankfully marketing management. As soon as I got out into the working world about 3 years ago I got a temp job at a retail store and my fiancé was lucky enough to get recruited into a company that is in line with his career.

    I worked for my company from the bottom up and now I am a graphic designer creating adverts for magazines and sorting out seasonal fashion lines. I really do love my job.

    With regards to me, having a degree did not matter but it was essential. I do not think that I would have been promoted from temp, to permanent, to store manager, to PA to the CEO of the company and now graphic designer. I have not studied an inch of graphic design and my boss would never hire a graphic design student. I had to learn photoshop and other design tools and I loved the challenge.

    Young adults have to start somewhere is what im getting at. Some of us are not lucky enough to get graduate jobs and thus have to start of by making coffee and showing loyalty.

    In my opinion, a degree is bare minimum. When I recruit people I will never hire anyone without some tertiary background.

    I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete