Friday, September 9, 2011

Jennifer's Body

I'm not sure why, but I have been wanting to watch a lot of suspense filled movies recently. Actions, thrillers, horrors, anything that isn't comedy or romantic. I tend to follow them up with a rom com if I am watching them at night, just to put my mind at ease before I go to sleep. This is something that I have done since I was a teenager, and it has been a habit that I have found hard to outgrow even though I no longer expect to have nightmares after watching a horror. In any case, tonight was no different, and I felt the need to watch something a little scary and suspenseful. I started looking through my stash of movies and found a couple of good prospects. And yet, my eye immediately fell on Jennifer's Body.

Now, I remember when this movie came out. It was shortly after Transformers and Megan Fox was the it girl of the decade. Amanda Seyfried had also risen to semi-fame the year before after starring in Mamma Mia, a role that turned out to make her more than her role in Mean Girls did. Clearly both of these actresses were trying to set themselves apart slightly from the roles that they had made for themselves by starring in a horror rather than an action/comedy/romance/drama. Clearly they weren't trying very hard.

Fox, whose role in Transformer was based around the fact that she was hot (and happened to know a bit about technologies and falls for the geek) takes on another high school sex symbol role. Only this time, it is one with a bit of a twist. This high school sex symbol is also a man eating demon. Surprise! Seyfried tries to step out of the stupid role that she played in Mean Girls and away from the innocent role that she played in Mamma Mia, and finds herself mixing the two by playing an innocent high school girl, the best friend of Fox, who finds out about her demonic side and tries to stop her.

The movie is classified as a horror comedy. I didn't find it to be particularly funny, and while there were certainly some horror moments, they were really badly done. The effects in the movie were almost as terrible as the lines like (after being run through with the sharpened end of a pool net) Fox asking Seyfried if she has a tampon. The movie is trying too hard to be funny, trying too hard to be something that  it isn't. It is easy to see, and actually pointed out more than once in the movie, that this is supposed to be a play on high school life and how evil the people on top can be. But really? It just feels like Mean Girls gone horribly, horribly wrong.

So, who would I recommend this movie to? Absolutely no one. I wish that i could unwatch it to be honest. I am not left horrified as I often am by horror movies, but just stumped as to why I sat through the whole thing without turning it off. Say no to Jennifer, and her body!

1 comment:

  1. Lol, I actually thought it was quirky funny.

    Yeah there was the tampon joke that I didn't get but the band trying to make it in a small town was pretty funny.

    I think its a parody of bands, slutty girls, and how the nice girl never gets attention or believed.

    But I agree that its not the best movie and I didn't rush of to the movies to watch it.

    My life has not changed either after watching it and it is quite forgettable.

    ReplyDelete