Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Answering the call

There is a song that I love that somehow got completely lost in my playlist filled with songs like I like, songs that are okay and songs that I hate but made their way onto my playlist due to my sheer laziness. This happens often with songs that I love, and this is largely due to the fact that I will hear a song that I love, a singular song by an artist that I have never heard of, will make the effort to find that song and then will forget all about it when another song grabs my attention and becomes the tune of the moment.

I was reminded of this particular song when one of my co-workers asked me if I liked Regina Spektor.
"Who," I asked, as my brain tried to send off sparks of recognition. Regina. Regina Spektor. Why did it sound familiar. And then I remembered.
"I do!" I announced a moment later. Proudly, as though liking Regina Spektor was an achievement, was something noteworthy, made me one of the cool people. "But I only know one of her songs."
"Ooh," Andrew said, poised to pounce. "Which one?" I could tell that he was ready to burst into a stream of how much he loved that particular song, and was incredibly surprised when the one song that I knew was the one that he didn't.
"It's called The Call," I told him, and received a blank stare in return. "I might have it on my iPod, I said, removing the device from my handbag and wiping off the dust that had accumulated since my last roadtrip two weeks before. I flicked through the artists, and found nothing. I searched for the song and came up with zip. I was disappointed, but Andrew somehow managed to find it for himself and loved it.

This all happened yesterday. I have had the song stuck in my head since then, and when I arrived home this evening, I felt an incredible urge to listen to it. So I turned up my speakers, opened up Winamp (yes, still my music player of choice) and found it. The mesmerising voice burst through over my speakers and my heart skipped a beat. A warm, fuzzy feeling of joy crept through my body, and I found myself smiling without even realising it.

It may not be the kind of music that I listen to on a daily basis, but somehow, Regina Spektor has hit the spot. Somehow, this song speaks to me and makes me feel alive. Somehow, this song has become my anthem, and it is songs that evoke feelings like this that I love. It brings back memories of times gone by, and by listening to them, I can relive those days.

Here is the video for Regina Spektor - The Call. I cannot promise that you will love it. Hell, I can't even promise that you'll like it. But I know I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgUL3ut4gyQ

No comments:

Post a Comment