Monday, July 4, 2011

Roads Filled with Friendship

Actresses Robyn Scott and Ntombi Makhutshi star in this incredibly moving Fringe production of London Road. Image found here.

“Shouldn’t we be leaving?”
"Neh.”
If there was one thing I had learned about fest, it was that you really didn’t have to be at places half an hour before the starting time. All it led to was standing outside in the cold and waiting for the doors to open. So I figured that we could rock up at London Road ten minutes before the time and we’d be fine. Goes to show what I know!

The line weaved down St Andrew’s paved lane as people shivered in the cold, trying to peek over others’ shoulders to see the start of the queue. As we slowly started filing into the room, I suddenly realised just how popular the play was and how unlikely it was that we’d get good seats. I was right this time around. We ended up squeezing into two seats right on the edge and a good couple of rows back. There were tall people in front of me, and I kept having to adjust myself to see the stage. I knew that as I did, I was obscuring the view of the people behind me, but that was just too bad. I wanted to see what was going on!

The lights dimmed, the play began and two women stepped onto the stage – one middle-aged and black, the other old and white. One wanting her privacy, the other a nosy parker. What on earth could these two women from such different backgrounds have in common? Well, not too much aside from drinking. But that doesn’t stop their friendship from blossoming.

London Road tells a story of an unlikely friendship between two people who are on their own with no one to rely on. With amazing performances by the two actresses and a polished script, I was utterly surprised that this show was still on Fringe. It goes to show how little I know about Fest, apparently. Some of the best shows are on Fringe, and just because something is on Fringe doesn’t mean that it isn’t good or that it can be ignored.

I have learned my lesson. No longer will I try to arrive at shows as the doors are opening. No longer will I scan over the Fringe performances without taking any detail in. From now on, I am keeping my eyes wide open, and you should too.

Also, you should try to see London Road. If it isn’t sold out yet. I laughed and was on the verge of tears. It’s brilliant. Go and book.

No comments:

Post a Comment