Friday, March 11, 2011

Cooking

Anyone who has come into contact with me over the last year or so would be shocked to hear me say this, but I love cooking. That is not to say that I am very good at it, nor is it to say that I do it often. But on the occasion that I do, I absolutely love it!


One of the things that I missed over my year in Korea was being able to cook. Sure, I had a mini-kitchen decked out with pots, pans and a hub of two stove tops; sure, there was a grocery store or three up the road from my house; but cooking for one just isn't the same as cooking for others. When it came down to it, ordering in or eating out was just so much easier and, in the end, so much cheaper as I never ended up eating the leftovers that I ended up with after cooking for myself.



One of the first things I requested for when I came home was a home-cooked meal. Of course, I never got it, but that doesn't take anything away from the point that I am trying to make – a hard-earned meal that has been cooked through blood, sweat and tears just tastes so much better than something that requires as little effort as phoning the pizza-place and reciting your address and phone number.



Now that I am home with a world of cooking-equipment and groceries at my fingers, I am already contemplating all the meals that I am looking forward to cooking. In fact, I have put together a list made from my recently acquired cookbooks (click here to see it). I highly doubt that I will cook all of these dishes over the next year, as I only intend to do the cooking about twice a week and will not always want something so rich or so expensive, but I do intend to get through the list over the next few years. So check it out and if you see something that you would like to try, let me know – maybe I will make it the next time you visit!

So my question for you today is twofold: which of those recipes do you most want to try and what is your favourite recipe?

4 comments:

  1. I'm voting for the potato gnocchi. I'd love to get your recipe for that (I've been trying to get it right for ages)! B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brij - haven't heard from you in ages and ages which seems far too long! Send me an e-mail and I'll reply to that address with the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cooked you a home cooked meal, maybe not first night, but I did make you a cake on your first day, and Malva pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try the paella. I have never made one but I have been cooking straight everyday for 3 years :) I really like cooking and trying new things.

    ReplyDelete