Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to my new blog!

Let me introduce myself and explain why I have started this. First of all, my name is Lara. I am 22 years old and have recently returned to South Africa from a sojourn in South Korea where I taught English for a year. Let me say this from the start, however: I AM NOT A TEACHER. I wasn't before I went to Korea and I would never like to be one again. If my year of teaching taught me one thing, it is that.

Now I suppose I should explain why I started this blog. I tried to get a number of blogs off the ground in the past and none of them succeeded until I started Travellin' Thru Korea. The reason why I think it worked so well is because I had people who were interested in hearing about my journey and pushed me to work at it. When my time in Korea started drawing to a close, I started wondering whether it would be worthwhile carrying on. And then I had a chat with my friend Nikita, who insisted that I should keep writing because she had finally found a blog that she enjoyed reading and she didn't want to give it up. And what was I to call it? What was it going to be about? Why would people want to read it?

Well, as my friend Shaina explained to me, it was the life experience that drew her to my blog in the first place and it was these life experiences that kept her there. Just because I'm not in Korea doesn't mean that my life is going to become boring. Just because I have lived in South Africa all my life doesn't mean that I can't look at South Africa with the eyes of a new-comer, and nor does it mean that my life here wouldn't be worth noting. And so, this blog is going to be about my life experiences as a 22 year old experiencing life the only way she knows how. Expect to see book reviews, food reviews, restaurant reviews and just the details of my life strewn across the interwebs for all to see - or at least for all those who would be interested.

I hope you stick around to enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment